Love. Radically.




I came home from 2 weeks in Uganda, East Africa, ready to set the world on fire. As I served beside men and women who have given up what they cannot keep to serve poverty-stricken people, I passed out not only rice and beans and chicken to outcast children who would probably have gone hungry otherwise, I passed out a tangible piece of hope and love from our Savior. 

We prayed over those rice and beans, that as those dear, dear children ate, they would learn about a Savior who loves them and will satisfy their every need.


It's hard to serve among side ministries like Amazima who literally feed starving children and then come home.

home to middle class suburban America. Where we have fancy four-dollar coffees on every corner and super Targets that compel us to throw one more cute {but unnecessary} item into our plentiful cart.

I came home wanting to set the world on fire. 
Here, in middle class America.


But how? 
how do I make such a difference here as I felt like I did in sub-sahara Africa? 
That is what I wrestled with.

Yes, there are food pantries that I can {and do} donate to. and volunteer with.
There are lots of charities and organizations that need help.
But none of them seemed to fit. 
None seemed personal enough.

I just wanted to pass out figurative rice and beans in my neighborhood -- to say to my friends, neighbors, community---I will love you because Christ first loved me.

how?

I prayed. And prayed. And prayed some more.

humbly seeking the Lord's direction
on how in the world I could make such a difference here in suburbia.

And then in my Bible reading I came to 1 Corinthians 13. It's such a well-read passage at weddings, but it spoke to me. and continues to.

"if I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or clanging cymbal...and If I have all faith, as if to move mountains,
But have not love, I am nothing."

And here's what answered my prayer about setting my small world that God has placed me in on fire.

"If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love,
I gain nothing."

You see, I could go to Africa. 
I could sell everything and move there and feed starving children.

But if I have not love, I.gain.nothing.

And that's when the answer to my months of prayer came.
I.must.love.

We are told that the rest of this world will know we are different because of our love.
{John 13:35}

That the second greatest commandment is to love our neighbor {and the biblical definition of neighbor is anyone who is in need} like our self.

For months I've been challenge by this, 
and I think i will be until the day my faith becomes sight.

For me, personally, making a radical difference starts right.here. With the husband I fell in love with over 10 years ago and the children we desperately wanted, tried for, prayed for. It starts with the neighbors I walk around the block with. The people in my church family.

Am I loving them?

am I being kind, patient, and selfless with them?

as my 2 year old wants me to play with her, but I really have 1,429 things on my to-do list, am loving her? By simply remembering these years won't last forever and playing baby dolls up my sweet girl?

As our 4 year old melts down before bed am I patient with him, knowing he's just tired and a good hug and goodnight kiss are what he needs instead of an impatient momma telling him to hurry it up with the pajama process?

I could move to Africa and feel like I'm changing the world.
But if I'm not showing love right here, right now,
I am nothing.

I fail, of course, and praise Hm for His forgiveness when I do. 

but for now, I remain in suburban America, 
passing out my own version of rice and beans to my family and friends.

By trying to love them.

Radically.




Leave a Comment

Shauna said...

Good word. Home or Africa, Sister - wherever we are at - let us love!

Mandie Joy said...

BEAUTIFUL! This so needed to be said. Well done, Anna.

Maggie@maggieandthenuts.com said...

Very beautiful. It does make me so grateful for all of my blessings.

How Sweet It Is-A lifestyle blog said...

What a wonderful journey Anna! Isn't it wonderful to serve others?
And I bet those children will never forget your service.
I found you thru SITS. I am your newest follower.

Rebecca said...

Amen. Beautifully written -- straight from the heart of God.

Yes, I always struggle with the "return to my home culture", but I thank God for the wake-up call. It causes me to reevaluate my priorities.

Have and incredibly blessed day!!!

Anna said...

Thank-you, ladies. Just wanted to share my heart...glad you found it so encouraging! <3 you.

Allison said...

Love love love this.
I was supposed to go to Uganda this summer, but I fell pregnant, then had a miscarriage and I was SO angry at God for missing out on both opportunities.
Anyway. I loved your post. Sometimes I want to roll down my window as I pass Starbucks and say, "Make your own coffee - that $5 could feel a child for a long time in Africa!"
Anyway...hopping over from SITS. Love the blog.

Sara said...

Trying to get my arms around my new life has kept from from all but quick glances at the blog world...but my quick glance at Mandie's post left me back here (yeah!). And so grateful. This is beautiful, Anna -- so well put. I couldn't agree more. I love that you put your heart on paper like this.

Unknown said...

Love.

Faith - faithfulmommy.com said...

Wonderful post! I am in much the same place. I went to Uganda in March and it rocked my world. I came here via Mandie's blog!

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful and so right now. I love how the Lord uses the blog world to bless us right when we need it. Thank you.

Unknown said...

NASA website 3 news, new year, NASA's uggs on sale Solar Dynamics Observatory satellite atmospheric imaging assembly photographed a mysterious phenomenon on the sun - a huge "black hole" appears in the Antarctic region of the christian louboutin remise 50% sun, covering almost a quarter christian louboutin of ugg soldes the sun.Scientists Air Jordan 11 Gamma Blue say this is a Christian Louboutin Bois Dore huge black hole coronal holes, it cheap nike jordan shoes is christian louboutin shoes a piece of the solar corona layer of dark, low-density areas. In the far Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags ultraviolet irradiation, and it looks Christian Louboutin Daffodile bleak, as if wholesale jordan shoes the ugg pas cher sun is the center of the black abyss depth.Although the uggs outlet satellite images, the coronal holes and no solar activity, but in fact it releases a Cheap LV Handbags violent solar cheap jordans storms, and the discount christian louboutin speed of 500 miles / Discount Louis Vuitton sec discount nike jordans spewing solar particles, three times elsewhere in ugg australia the solar wind velocity.Scientists are Bags Louis Vuitton still studying specific causes of coronal holes, but it seems to be related to regional magnetic activity increased. Discount LV Handbags NASA says the solar coronal hole is one of the ugg boots most remarkable features.NASA also said that cheap christian louboutin "due to the possibility of the coronal hole in the ugg most southern sun, the solar wind affect humans on Earth is unlikely.