One.




When I was in Africa last winter, I was so incredibly overwhelmed at the need.  
So many orphans.  So much poverty.  So much injustice. 

What could I do?  What difference could one person make?

Well, I came to the conclusion after just 2 weeks in Africa: a lot.

To the one little boy that had been dropped off at the orphanage by his father that couldn't care for him, I could make a big difference. 
I could hold him, and tell him that I loved him and that Jesus did too.
I could show him, for the first time in his life, the love of a mother, if even for just a few days.
I could rub his cheek and dry his tears, and sing and play and clap.

x
To the precious 11 year old boy that had been strangled by his step-mom, I could talk with him, show him how to mold things with play-doh for the first time ever, build with legos.
I could tell him that his life is valuable.

To the 15-year-old girl dying of AIDS, I could hang out with her for the day, doing teenage-girly stuff like painting nails and doing hair and fixing her sewing machine.
Helping her feel like a typical teenage girl for just a day.

I couldn't make a difference for millions, but I could make a difference for one.
Although the need is still overwhelming, I've decided that not acting because of the need being so great decreases the value of an individual life.  

Sure, I probably can't make a difference for millions of orphans, but
I CAN make a difference for ONE.  

Whether it's an orphaned child in Sub-Saharan Africa or the elderly woman at church who could use loaf of banana bread and an afternoon visit, ONE person can be reached.
One life at a time, I can help.

WE can  help.




Leave a Comment