Awareness.





July was Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis Awareness Month.


As the month has gone on, and Grant got the "official" diagnosis,
 I've thought a lot about how our lives have changed since he started having JRA symptoms.

My normal laid-back self flinches at Grant rubbing his legs. 
When he looks more tired than usual, I start praying.  
and analyzing.  

Did he just go to bed too late? Or is the inflammation returning?
I glance at his knees when he's in shorts and find myself comparing for swollen-ness.
He's had more blood draws than a 4 year old should, 
and knows way too much about doctor's visits.
{she's going to wiggle my arms mommy! Then I'll walk down the hall really fast!}


However, all in all, the Lord has protected our sweet Grant over the past several months.
 my heart still cringes at what the diagnosis could have been.
Praising the Lord for a very manageable, very treatable disease!


And, after spending time at a very high-tech children's hospital,
I'm so much more aware of health issues in children now.

How if a kid is kinda cranky in Sunday School class,
they may not just be being difficult.
They may have awakened with swollen joints and 
pain beyond what a child should know.


How if a friend seems kind of flustered and overwhelmed,
her inside may be aching for her child.  
Even if the prognosis is good, 
seeing speciality doctors and super-tech hospitals is a lot to process.



Awareness.
Awareness that we all deal with our own difficulties.
That there's more to everyone than what we see.

And awareness leads to compassion.
Compassion for hurting kids.
Hurting mommas.

Awareness that we all, 
{4-year-olds with arthritis, 80-year-olds with heart disease}
need help, healing, and hope.
Hope for this life.
and eternity.



...I have put my hope in the Living God, who is the Savior of all men...
I Timothy 4:10




Leave a Comment

Heather @ we.are.the.holdens said...

Oh Anna this post touched me on so many levels.. 1 being..it's so true that we don't know what someone else is going through... We need compassion and we need to show compassion. Thank you for this reminder.

Anna said...

Thanks, Heather. We really don't know what someone else is going through - I have so learned that lesson over the past several months!

Anonymous said...

you are really a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing.
It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork.
you've done a excellent task on this topic!

my web blog; effective weight loss