Muffins gone wrong




So, I offered to one of my neighbors to bring muffins to our weekly playgroup tomorrow morning. She said that'd be great, so I went through my Weight Watcher recipes to find one that sounded good. (I thought our playgroup could use a healthy snack to kick of the new year!) The Orange-Oatmeal recipe sounded the best, and I had everything on hand.

Well, I ended up being about 1/2 cup short of bisquick, so I googled and found that you can sub Bisquick with flour, baking powder, salt, and some Crisco. (I don't quite get the Crisco, but that's what it said!) So, I measured out the equivalent of the Bisquick I was short - and I decided to use whole wheat flour.

Well, I think I just changed too many things, because the muffins are NOT GOOD. I think the whole wheat flour was just too strong of a flavor - you can't taste the "orange" of the "orange-oatmeal muffins". I'll have to re-do the recipe in the morning, using plain white flour. They're only 3 Weight Watcher points per muffin, so not too bad. (although I could so easily eat like, 3 muffins!)

anyway - I'll let you know how the next batch turns out. ;-)

Leave a Comment

john.and.leann said...

So funny! I just had a whole-wheat flour fiasco too! So many people say you can substitute whole wheat flour with no problem, but I disagree! I think it's worked out all right for me in banana bread, but I tried using 1 cup in a pie crust recipe that called for 4 cups of flour total....it was allright in my savory black bean pie, but kind of funky in my apple pie. All that work making crust from scratch only to have 2 ugly slightly funky pies was disappointing!!! :P