Sparkly Purses.




this morning,
i found Grace's pink sparkly-handled purse
{that she had been carrying around all morning}.

in it?

a pony.


her "lipstick" that is her new obsession 
{and which the promise of a new one totally gets us through a grocery trip}
 

and a yellow and blue rubber ball.


because a girl never knows when she'll need a bouncy ball, right?

---

and, as I cleaned up her purse contents,
i had a flash-forward of about 13 years.
of her carrying a real purse.
coming in the door, plopping it on the table with the rest of cute teenage-girl-ish stuff.

i envisioned her texting her girlfriends,
doing homework,
complaining about boys.
going to sports practice,
youth group,
service projects.

and, my heart stopped.
this little baby girl of mine?
she's growing too fast.

{as is your child, I'm sure}.

since we can't slow time down,
over the past few months I've tried to be even more
 deliberately intentional with these gifts of ours.
{the possibility of a neurological disease will do that, I'm sure..
..if i won't be able to walk in 20 years, you better believe 
i want to be able to say that when I could walk, 
i ran with the kids, kicked a soccer ball, peddled a bike,
 every single time i could.}

so, today?
i hold her when she wants to be held.
i cry with her over whatever's wrong in her almost-3-year-old world.
i give her snacks, at maybe not snack time.
 i let her wear her crazy colorful boots when she wants to.

because really?
the stuff that frustrates me day-to-day?
like spilled cereal and laundry piles
and dirty bathrooms and dishes to wash?

it doesn't matter.
it.does.not.matter.

connecting with my kids?
being kind and tenderhearted towards them?
pointing them towards our Savior?

that matters.

i pray to that i do it better and better each day, with each new phase we enter into with its new challenges.  i pray i pursue kindness towards them, pursue tenderheartedness. pursue love, compassion, gentleness.

{and i pray you do, too.}

Leave a Comment

Jessica said...

What a sweet, sweet post! This is every mother's heart. And, my two-and-a-half year old is OBSESSED with My Little Pony. Her pocketbook (don't call it a purse) is full of them! :-)

Emily Weinzapfel said...

Such a beautiful post... VERY well said :) This is what's been on my heart lately too! Prayers for your sweet family!

Have a happy weekend!

Alison said...

So sweet and so true!!!

Unknown said...

Wow. This is an amazing, beautiful post. Xo

Unknown said...

Wow. This is an amazing, beautiful post. Xo

Unknown said...

Yes to this! The little things do not matter in te broad scheme of things. I want to point them towards Jesus and love them every step of the way! The moments go far too fast to miss out.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but
after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Anyhow, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!


Feel free to surf to my weblog ... Is Enchant Him Effective