Not Supermom







i'm not supermom.
{this is shocking, i realize, to those that now me well and step over laundry piles when you visit. :P}

i got some really nice comments and messages after my last post
but i realized that you may have a different view of me than i really am.
{ya know, because i only write what i want to write!  maybe i should take pictures of my dishes that are overflowing the sink or the laundry room 
that barely has some floor space right now?}

i really do love my life with little kids,
and in my heart of hearts, 
i'd have a half a dozen more,
if that's what the Lord's plan for us was.

but ya know?
the days *do* get long.
seriously.

the other night after writing this post,
I told Matt that as much as I love them and even though I *know* in ten years when they're teenagers I'll miss *these* little days,
the thought of not stepping over toys scattered everywhere and not mopping the floor for the gazillionith time that day and having kids that will for-the-love-of-pete-just-please-sleep 
sounded kinda nice.
really nice. 

 i'm so not supermom.
i get impatient and irritated and cranky.
i get tired and frustrated and think i may lose it the fighting doesn't stop right.this.second.

--

several months ago,
after my initial MRI came back indicative of MS,
i was reading Matt Chandler's blog -
a well-known pastor diagnosed with a brain tumor a few years ago.

he mentioned that during his radiation treatment for the tumor 
he had a heightened sense of reality.

that's really how I feel after being diagnosed with MS -
this heightened sense that our lives are so, so short,
and that really, the only thing that matters is how much we love God and walk in humble obedience.

--

the Great Comission tells us to go into all the world and make disciples.
for lots of us, 
we don't have to go far -
we can go right upstairs, down the hall,
into the nursery or preschooler's room.

as a stay-at-home mom, 
i have every day, all day to make disciples -
to make a fully devoted follower of Christ.

and i think i've realized that it's not in the big moments around the family devotional
or idealistic scenes at the dinner table 
that make disciples.

i show my children what it means to Love God 
when I'm patient when no one can find their shoes and we need to walk out the door right now.
i show my children what it means to Love God
when i control my own frustrations over a three-year-old not getting dressed nicely.
i show my children what it means to Love God
when i love my spouse well, when i humbly serve my neighbors,
when i speak with kind words,
even when it's the middle-of-the-night and we all need sleep.

i'm so not supermom.
i just long for all my mommy friends to realize that this day-to-day stuff?
it's bigger than we realize.
we can fulfill the Great Comission,
right in our own house.

so the day-to-day moments of frustrations?
i try to remember that though they will pass,
the way i handle them?

{my kids will remember that forever.}

 

grace abigail. 
 
 

 



Leave a Comment

DW said...

Amen, Sister. So true. :)

DW said...

Amen, Sister. So true. :)