Crockpot Oatmeal







I am not a morning person. At all. Seriously, not.at.all. So, when I came across a recipe for crockpot oatmeal, I decided it was definitely for me.

So, at 10 o'clock on a Sunday night I haul out our crockpot, steel cut oats, water, an apple, and some half-and-half. SO EASY.

Results? It isfor sure going into our recipe rotation. and I am now on a mad hunt for more breakfast crockpot recipes! Our preschooler is starting, well, pre-school, in the fall for the first time and I so want to give him a nutritious, delicious breakfast (that he'll actually eat, ya know?)...he LOVED this oatmeal, and the Baby Girl ate her fair share, too.

Crockpot Oatmeal

3 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 cup steel cut oats
1 diced apple

Mix everything together. Place in crockpot on WARM for 8-10 hours. Serves about 4.

Recipe hints: You can replace the half and half for non-fat milk for a lighter option. It serves about 4, depending - for our family my preschooler at a good-sized bowl, the Baby Girl had a bowl, and the husband had a generous portion...AND we still had what was left for the picture.

Definitely put it on WARM on the crockpot, or it would have started to stick. I did turn it to low for about an hour when I got up this morning to help it thicken - and, it was definitely thick! Depending on how you like your oatmeal, you can add more milk to your bowl and just stir it up to thin it a tad.

Enjoy!

Leave a Comment

Terri Steffes said...

Anna, saw you on the crock pot girls on Facebook. I love blogging and so I thought I would check you out here! I am going to make your oatmeal TONIGHT! We love steel cut oatmeal and only make it on the weekends due to how long it takes. Thanks for the suggestion about being on WARM. I just noticed that setting on my crock pot tonight!

Anna said...

Terri, let me know how it turns out! :)

Anonymous said...

If you don't have a warmer setting (I have only low and high) will it still work?? I'd love to try it but am afraid it will burn. Would low work if I did it a shorter time? I'm usually up once a night anyway, LOL!...say 4-6 hours on low?

Anna said...

I do think that it may be okay on low! Mine was pretty liquid-y still this morning after 8 hours on warm, so 6 hours on low might be good! (if you have a crockpot liner, that helps, too!!) Really, all you'd have to do is stir it - the worry with crock pot oatmeal is just the sides sticking, so if you just stir it overnight, I bet it'd be fine. :) let us know!!!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Saw you on Crock Pot Girls and am super excited to try this! I am not a morning person, either...so this would be great. My first grader eats bfast at 7 am and doesn't get a bite to eat until his lunch at noon. This would be PERFECT to tide him over that long period. Pinning this on my Pinterest right now! ; )

Allison of A Farmgirl's View said...

I saw you on crock pot girls too! Wow did that site take off! i love to blog and follow other blogs too, so I'm your newest follower :) My blog hasn't featured recipes yet, but hopefully soon :)
Fun to meet ya!
Allison

Anna said...

Kristi--that's part of the reason I love this recipe--not a morning prson, and yet I can get a substantional breakfast into my 4yo! And, that's a long time for your little one to go before lunch! Hope he likes the oatmeal! I also like it with diced banana and craisins.

Anna said...

And, Allison, hi! :).

Terri Steffes said...

I tried it and it was great. We like our oatmeal with more "bite" so we are going to try less liquid and see how that works. My husband Bob stirs a teaspoon of Nutella in his oatmeal and he did that today and said it was good!

Anna said...

Awesome, Terri! So, you want thicker oatmeal? I like it thicker, too, actually, but my husband likes it with a more liquidy consistancy. Glad you liked it! :D And Nutella would be FABULOUS in it, I'm sure!